Steel band recording

Moderator: Staff

ejeter

Steel band recording

Postby ejeter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm

I play in steel drum band called Skyfall Steel Orchestra and we are hoping to put together some recordings for an EPK. We're a six-piece steel band and haven't gotten professional recordings before. We were thinking a good way to record would be playing in an auditorium and recording the sound of the room. Does anyone have experience recording steel pan and have any suggestions?
mindparade

Re: Steel band recording

Postby mindparade » Wed May 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Interesting idea, though it may not be the best way. Steel drums have a lot of natural reverb, due to their natural sustain. I would say get in a more damp room (even a carpeted living room would work), and put 1 or 2 wide diaphram condenser mics directly over each drum. That way you can adjust each part in the mix if necessary and even play with panning to the left and right channels. In general, recording in more dry sounding rooms as opposed to reverby rooms is a good way to go, unless you are sure you want that sound. It's hard to take reverb out of a recording but it is very easy to put some in during the mixing process. Hope that helps. Here's a video on the subject may be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRdsbHB1q4
tawny_puters

Postby tawny_puters » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 am

in a pinch, if yo udon't have enough mics or inputs to mic everything individual (which i agree with mindparade would probs be the best approach), you could try finding a relatively dry room in which you sound good together and setting up a stereo pair somewhere in the room. you'll probably have to move the mic and your band members around to get the right balance (instead of mixing in post think of it like mixing to move people close and farther from the mics).
:?: #tybj :?:
ejeter

Postby ejeter » Mon May 30, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks, Alex & Taylor! Alex, I love the idea of having the condenser mics over each pan, but we have 14 of them all together... Taylor, I love the idea of doing a stereo set-up and moving them around to get the right balance.

Thanks so much for your input guys, that's super helpful!

Return to “Digital Recording”