what was the last weird thing you tried?

Moderator: Staff

tawny_puters

what was the last weird thing you tried?

Postby tawny_puters » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:01 pm

computers are weird and you can do weird stuff with them.

so i have lately gotten very excited at the prospect of side chaining compression and using that to make weird interlocking ducking effects happen. last night i was futzing for a little bit and i couldn't get it to work but here was my idea.

i start with a percussive signal (doesn't really matter what it is as long as the signal is more intermittent than continuous so it gives wave form peaks to push in to the compression). i used a recording of a kick drum that thwacked and random intervals.

i think record myself singing four different harmony pieces as 4 continuous audio signals. basically just a simple chord progression for the time being just to see if this works.

so i've got:

drums
vox 1
vox 2
vox 3
vox 4

i mute drums, but i side chain a high ratio/fast attack/slow release compression on vox 1 to the drums pre-fader so it's still listening. then i print that so it's got some ducking happening on it.
then i put a similar compressor on vox 2 and side chain it to vox 1, so the ducking is now interweaving.
wash rinse repeat.

tbh it did not work as well as i'd hoped it would, but it was kinda cool, esp when panning them across the spectrum. it's also a good way to force myself to learn the finer points of compression.

what weird computer stuff have you done recently? i want to put contact mics on my computer but i keep not doing it.
:?: #tybj :?:
crh.

Re: what was the last weird thing you tried?

Postby crh. » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:50 pm

I will never understand compression...
CRH || post || AZTX || andhewaronall
http://www.soundcloud.com/andhewaronall
tawny_puters

Postby tawny_puters » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:10 pm

crh. wrote:I will never understand compression...

truly me neither. i keep figuring out small things that sort of x out other small things i thought i knew. it's crazy how much you can do with it and how deep of an effect it is.
tawny_puters

Postby tawny_puters » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 am

been playing around with the internal noise my mixer makes and looping that. just cranking the channel gain on channels with no input and futzing with the eq. it makes this washy hum that you can then layer into a sound that feels like a forceful version of what it's like to sit in a room that you thought was quiet but that you suddenly realized is full up with odd electronic noises.
tawny_puters

Postby tawny_puters » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:19 pm

i guess this isn't that weird, but i've been trying to teach myself how to program hip hop beats, cuz that's something i always thought i couldn't do (and i'm not still not super great at it)

once i had the basic beat, i was like "fuck it, i'm making a pop song"

and so here it is:

BrainTwins

Postby BrainTwins » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Awesome Taylor! Love it!
tawny_puters wrote:we're on a forum now and i can edit my signature and i'm going to add #tybj to my signature
Hoopty

Postby Hoopty » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Love this thread. If anything its made me realize I need to do more weird stuff. Its so easy to get set in your own ways and repeat the same production techniques due to the comfort that familiarity brings.

The last weird thing I did was with Cowbell. Basically it sounded too bland so I re-amped it through one of my little amps and then squashed it again. Went from sounding like a cheesy cliche to something a lot more interesting!
crh.

Postby crh. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:49 am

Hoopty wrote:Love this thread. If anything its made me realize I need to do more weird stuff.

Heck yes, hoopty.

I'm in the middle of trying to record a traditionally rock'n'roll ep, which is weird for me, but probably not anyone else... :? When i get frustrated with the track i'm working on, though, that's when i get weird. I like to fill up every open track with nonsense and make a new mix. Thus a song about the blues becomes a psych surf guitar freak out, or a punk rock ballad becomes squelchy bedroom synthpop.
CRH || post || AZTX || andhewaronall
http://www.soundcloud.com/andhewaronall
tawny_puters

Postby tawny_puters » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Hoopty wrote:The last weird thing I did was with Cowbell. Basically it sounded too bland so I re-amped it through one of my little amps and then squashed it again. Went from sounding like a cheesy cliche to something a lot more interesting!

that's awesome. i did this thingy with a kick drum signal one time, running it through a bass amp to reamp it, doing it a few times over (had to kinda cut out a lot of frequencies each time so it didn't get totally out of control) until it started to really smear, and it sounded massive.

Return to “Digital Recording”