What software do you use?

Moderator: Staff

BrainTwins

What software do you use?

Postby BrainTwins » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:58 pm

This thread is to discuss different software you might use to record!

Currently we've been processing Live audio recordings through Audition but we really want to get Ableton soon for actual sound production. Typically multi-track on hardware but want to try some new software when we can get the time/resources.
tawny_puters wrote:we're on a forum now and i can edit my signature and i'm going to add #tybj to my signature
Stephen1181

Re: What software do you use?

Postby Stephen1181 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:05 pm

For my band's recordings, we used an ipad with itrack so that we could get some inputs into it. Simply using Garageband to get the tracks recorded and then mixing through Garageband on an Imac. That's the DYI way that we love to make happen.
That's the bottom line because Stephen A said so.
BrainTwins

Postby BrainTwins » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 am

Stephen1181 wrote:For my band's recordings, we used an ipad with itrack so that we could get some inputs into it. Simply using Garageband to get the tracks recorded and then mixing through Garageband on an Imac. That's the DYI way that we love to make happen.

Awesome, haven't messed with Garageband a whole lot. I have a lot of friends who swear by it though.
tawny_puters wrote:we're on a forum now and i can edit my signature and i'm going to add #tybj to my signature
sunsetpig

Postby sunsetpig » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:32 am

Ableton. It's just so simple yet extremely flexible at the same time. I mean most DAWs all do the same thing and at the end of the day it really just comes down to user preference, but I feel like Ableton really nailed letting users easily jump into most functions of the program without too much stress figuring everything out. Even most of the advanced features take limited time messing about with to get things moving.
BrainTwins

Postby BrainTwins » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:02 am

sunsetpig wrote:Ableton. It's just so simple yet extremely flexible at the same time. I mean most DAWs all do the same thing and at the end of the day it really just comes down to user preference, but I feel like Ableton really nailed letting users easily jump into most functions of the program without too much stress figuring everything out. Even most of the advanced features take limited time messing about with to get things moving.

I really want to get PUSH for it, need to save up some more money, I feel like having a piece of hardware will help me much more than just clicking around with the mouse. Thats my biggest gripe with software overall, I feel like its way more intuitive for me to just turn knobs and push multiple buttons.
sunsetpig

Postby sunsetpig » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:12 am

BrainTwins wrote:
sunsetpig wrote:Ableton. It's just so simple yet extremely flexible at the same time. I mean most DAWs all do the same thing and at the end of the day it really just comes down to user preference, but I feel like Ableton really nailed letting users easily jump into most functions of the program without too much stress figuring everything out. Even most of the advanced features take limited time messing about with to get things moving.

I really want to get PUSH for it, need to save up some more money, I feel like having a piece of hardware will help me much more than just clicking around with the mouse. Thats my biggest gripe with software overall, I feel like its way more intuitive for me to just turn knobs and push multiple buttons.

Yeah for sure, especially if you're more comfortable using physical hardware. I like not having to stare at a screen the whole time.
tawny_puters

Postby tawny_puters » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:52 am

i'm tryna make myself learn to use ableton just for flexibility's sake.

i am a logic person 100% because i've been using it in one form or another since 2008 and i feel really comfortable with it. it just transparently makes sense to me and feels simpler even than something like garage band at this point. i luv logic and it's pretty much the one thing that's got me committed ot sticking with mac computers instead of building my own windows machine like i kinda wanna do. i'm sure i could get used to pro tools or reaper, but i just don't want to...
:?: #tybj :?:
crh.

Postby crh. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:46 am

In the past I've used FLStudios and Cubase 4 lite. One computer theft and two harddrive meltdowns later, i tried getting into ubuntu studios but couldn't get over the Jack hurdle. Around that time i was also getting sick of the constant hardware/software interfacing struggle and decide to put together something that didn't involve much computer.

Now the only program I use is Goldwave, for trimming down tracks, and splitting stereo tracks into mono tracks. Then everything goes back into the Tascam.
CRH || post || AZTX || andhewaronall
http://www.soundcloud.com/andhewaronall
DanSnell

Postby DanSnell » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:48 pm

For the past few years I've been using Reaper, and love it. For drums and piano, I've integrated Addictive Drums and Addictive Keys. Very easy to use.

It doesn't have the bells and whistles that Pro Tools would have, but it's still rather powerful.

Their pricing is based on the honor system. For people like me, who don't make much of a living [or any] with recordings, it's $60. For those who use it in a studio and earn more than $10,000/year with their recordings, it's $300.

Return to “Digital Recording”